Pictured: Carrington Hall, courtesy of UNC School of Nursing (Chapel Hill, NC)
The Scott Family has a long history of devoted service in the medical field. When a younger sibling was accidentally burned as an infant, Samuel Floyd Scott helped his mother dress the wounds several times a day for as long as the child survived. Years later he recounted this experience as the inspiration for his pursuit of a career in medicine. After attending the University of North Carolina and the University of Pennsylvania, “Dr. Scott” began practicing medicine in the Union Ridge area of Alamance County in 1919, delivering over 6,000 babies in his lifetime. Floyd’s younger sister Elizabeth followed him to the University of Pennsylvania and received her RN and Nursing Education degrees. Upon returning to Alamance County she married Dr. George Carrington, became his Nurse Anesthetist and taught a Red Cross first aid training class during WWII’s nursing shortage. Numerous family members are or have been nurses and doctors whose roots in the medical field can be traced back several generations in the Scott, Hughes, and related families.
Vital Medical Facilities
Burlington Pediatrics (Burlington, NC)
Burlington Pediatrics was founded in 1971 by Dr. Charles K. Scott. Over the years the practice has expanded to include nine physicians in three locations —central Burlington, west Burlington and Mebane.
Scott Clinic (Burlington, NC)
Founded in the rural Union Ridge area in 1949 by Dr. Floyd Scott and his son, Dr. Peter Scott, the Scott Clinic played a vital role in the lives of all those in the community. Following his graduation from dental school, Dr. Lud Scott began his professional practice at The Scott Clinic. The Clinic remained under the direction of Dr. Samuel Scott, son of Dr. Floyd Scott, until it was purchased in 2002 by Piedmont Health Services, Inc. In honor of the contributions made by the Scott family practitioners, Piedmont Health Services renamed the clinic The Scott Community Health Center.
University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill, School of Nursing (Chapel Hill, NC)
In 1953 Elizabeth Scott Carrington was named Chair of the committee charged with developing the School of Nursing at UNC-Chapel Hill. In recognition of her efforts, the School of Nursing was named Carrington Hall in her honor in 1969.