The Political Career of W. Kerr Scott

SFC_webst_02

On display at the Scott Collection from November 2014-March 2015 was an exhibit on W. Kerr Scott and his political career as Agricultural Commissioner of North Carolina,Governor of North Carolina, and U.S. Senator. Included in the display were photographs, trophies, awards, political campaign buttons, posters, and political memorabilia. Also part of the exhibit were the Stetson hat he received at the 1949 U.S. Governors’ convention in Texas, a leather-bound copy of the Papers of Governor W. Kerr Scott, as well as an appointment book he kept as a young agricultural agent for Alamance County.

The Kronbergs

Kronbergs border

The Kronbergs Family:

A Journey from Latvia to America.

The Kronbergs family was displaced during the Soviet invasion and occupation of Latvia in 1940. After a short term in a Displacement Camp in Nuremburg, Germany, they came to America and were placed with a family in North Carolina that was unable or unwilling to provide for small children. After staying at another Displacement Camp here in North Carolina, they came to live with Sen. Ralph H. Scott, Sr. and his family.

Exhibition Dates: April 30, 2014 – November 2, 2014

See our YouTube video of the exhibit:  The Kronbergs, A Journey from Latvia to America

Alexander Wilson

Alexander Wilson:  The man and his schools

Education has always been a priority in the lives of the Scott family. In the late 1840’s, Henderson and Margaret Scott wanted their children to be educated, but there were very few educational opportunities in their Burnt Shops (now Hawfields) community. Scott learned that Dr. Alexander Wilson, a well- known educator, was working in Hillsborough, NC as President of the Caldwell Institute, but looking to move out of that area. Following a conference with Scott, Dr. Wilson purchased fifty acres of land in the Burnt Shops community. Wilson chose to name his school after his Scottish mentor, Andrew Melville, and on July 4, 1851, the “Melville School” opened its doors. Many of the students boarded in nearby community homes or in the log dormitory for boarding students. Wilson’s students included many future prominent leaders in the state and the southeast. After Wilson’s death in 1867, the Melville School was operated by his sons, but soon closed. However, a new school, organized in 1921, was named for the beloved educator, and bears his name today. Over the years, it has been a high school, a graded school (1-11 grades), and is currently an elementary school (K-5).

Featured in the exhibit were photographs and memorabilia of the Melville School, the Alexander Wilson School, former students and teachers.

Exhibition Dates: October 10, 2013 – March 31, 2014

Michael Graham Bible

An 18th Century Bible, belonging to Scott Family ancestor Michael Graham, was inherited by Margaret Graham Scott (1822-1892). Eventually this bible was donated to Washington & Lee University Library by the family of Anderson Hughes (Jim) Scott, in the early 1980′s. Brought from Ireland by Michael Graham, the bible was used by Rector William Graham, son of Michael, when he served as the University’s first Rector. In the days during and following the American Revolution, Washington & Lee University was known as Liberty Hall. The Michael Graham Bible was loaned to the Scott Collection for an exhibit which ran from September 17 – November 8, 2011. Graham descendants from across the southeast came to view the display.

Exhibition Dates: September – November 2011