Pictured: Hughes Academy, established 1845. Structure relocated from Cedar Grove to Hillsborough.
When Alexander Wilson, a teacher in the Caldwell Institute in Hillsborough, decided to open a classical school of his own, Henderson Scott (1814–1870) convinced him to settle in Hawfields so the children in his community could be educated. Wilson moved into his home in 1851 and named his new school “Melville,” in honor of his former teacher, the famous Scottish educator and minister, Andrew Melville. Since that time the Scotts have been involved in education not only in the Hawfields community, but throughout North Carolina. As public school teachers, college professors and trustees, or administrators of the community college system, Scott family members have played a major role in North Carolina’s educational history.
Central Education Establishments
Alamance-Burlington Schools (Alamance County, NC)
Beginning with Henderson Scott who built a large house in the Hawfields community with the intention of housing students in his home, members of the Scott family have been actively involved in public education. Henry A. Scott served as the President of the North Carolina State School Boards Association in 1948 and Anderson Hughes “Jim” Scott served on the Southern High School School Board (1961–1967) and the Alamance County School Board.
Alamance Community College (Graham, NC)
In 1971, the Carrington and Scott families donated 48 acres to the Technical Institute of Alamance, today known as Alamance Community College. In June 2006, Alamance Community College opened The Scott Family Collection as the official repository of Scott family memorabilia. The Graham campus was renamed the Carrington-Scott campus in 2007 in honor of the Carrington and Scott families.
Alexander Wilson School (Graham, NC)
At the urging of Henderson Scott, Dr. Alexander Wilson purchased a tract of land in the Burnt Shop area which he later renamed Melville. He opened a small private school in 1851 where he taught with his two sons. It became known as one of the best schools in the South. The school was discontinued after Dr. Wilson’s death in 1867. The current Alexander Wilson School was established in 1922 and has served as both a high school and elementary school.
Flora McDonald College (Red Springs, NC)
After completing high school Elizabeth Scott Carrington attended Flora McDonald College —an all-girls school in Red Springs, NC. Robert W. Scott also dedicated his time to the College by serving as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1910 to 1915 and again from 1925 to 1927. In 1980, the campus became officially known as Flora McDonald Academy.
Hawfields Daycare (Mebane, NC)
In 1965 P.W. “Slick” and Dottie Scott were instrumental in the establishment of the Hawfields Child Care and Development Center within the Hawfields Presbyterian Church. Dottie Scott served as the Chair of the Board of Directors of the daycare from 1965 to the 1980′s. In the late 1980′s, the enrollment at the daycare had increased and the limits of available space within the church was reached. Agnes Scott Haeseler, aunt of P.W. Scott, was a tireless and determined champion dedicated to the realization and ongoing maintenance of an independent space for the daycare.
Hawfields School (Alamance County, NC)
Hawfields School, one of the first schools under the State’s new Program for Public Education, opened in 1902 with Miss Ella Anderson and Miss Nettie Spencer as the teachers. During its first year, the Hawfields High School was partially maintained by private subscription. Robert W. Scott served as Secretary for the school’s Board of Education.
Hughes Academy (Orange County, NC)
In January, 1845, Cedar Grove Academy was established, primarily as a boys’ preparatory school with a few girls from the community attending. The academy charged $25 tuition and $60 board for the ten month school year and had an enrollment of about 100 students. Advertised as a “Classical and Mathematical School”, the curriculum included English, Latin, Greek, and Mathematics. The afternoon sessions of the school were always opened with a Bible lesson. During the Civil War, the school was moved to the yard of Samuel Wellwood Hughes, the academy founder. The name was changed to Hughes Academy and school was conducted at that site until Samuel’s death in 1884.
North Carolina A&T State University (Greensboro, NC)
In 1951, Governor W. Kerr Scott appropriated $2 million for construction of a dormitory on the North Carolina A&T campus. The dorm was named Scott Hall in honor of Gov. Kerr Scott. In 1943 Henry A. Scott was appointed by Gov. J. Melville Broughton to the Board of Trustees of NC A&T College and he maintained this appointment until his death in 1962.
North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)
As a leader of the Farmer’s Alliance Party, Robert W. Scott took on a leadership role in revolutionizing farming throughout North Carolina. With his avid support North Carolina College of Agriculture Mechanic Arts (NCSU) was founded in 1887. A new poultry and research building was dedicated as Scott Hall in honor of Robert W. Scott in 1952.
University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill, School of Nursing (Chapel Hill, NC)
In 1953 Elizabeth Scott Carrington was named Chair of the committee charged with developing the School of Nursing at UNC-Chapel Hill. In recognition of her efforts, the School of Nursing was named Carrington Hall in her honor in 1969.