Alexander Wilson

Alexander Wilson:  The man and his schools

Education has always been a priority in the lives of the Scott family. In the late 1840’s, Henderson and Margaret Scott wanted their children to be educated, but there were very few educational opportunities in their Burnt Shops (now Hawfields) community. Scott learned that Dr. Alexander Wilson, a well- known educator, was working in Hillsborough, NC as President of the Caldwell Institute, but looking to move out of that area. Following a conference with Scott, Dr. Wilson purchased fifty acres of land in the Burnt Shops community. Wilson chose to name his school after his Scottish mentor, Andrew Melville, and on July 4, 1851, the “Melville School” opened its doors. Many of the students boarded in nearby community homes or in the log dormitory for boarding students. Wilson’s students included many future prominent leaders in the state and the southeast. After Wilson’s death in 1867, the Melville School was operated by his sons, but soon closed. However, a new school, organized in 1921, was named for the beloved educator, and bears his name today. Over the years, it has been a high school, a graded school (1-11 grades), and is currently an elementary school (K-5).

Featured in the exhibit were photographs and memorabilia of the Melville School, the Alexander Wilson School, former students and teachers.

Exhibition Dates: October 10, 2013 – March 31, 2014

Michael Graham Bible

An 18th Century Bible, belonging to Scott Family ancestor Michael Graham, was inherited by Margaret Graham Scott (1822-1892). Eventually this bible was donated to Washington & Lee University Library by the family of Anderson Hughes (Jim) Scott, in the early 1980’s. Brought from Ireland by Michael Graham, the bible was used by Rector William Graham, son of Michael, when he served as the University’s first Rector. In the days during and following the American Revolution, Washington & Lee University was known as Liberty Hall. The Michael Graham Bible was loaned to the Scott Collection for an exhibit which ran from September 17 – November 8, 2011. Graham descendants from across the southeast came to view the display.

Exhibition Dates: September – November 2011

The Hands that Held the Plow

“The Hands that Held the Plow” was an exhibit on two farmers, Howard Neese and Cecil Johnson who worked  diligently to farm and maintain the Kerr Scott farm as well as the Scott family farms. This display honored their lives and the service they gave to the Scott family.

Scott Clinic

Scott Clinic Exhibit

The Scott Clinic was built in 1949 in the Union Ridge area of Alamance County to serve northern Alamance County, southern Caswell County and surrounding counties. As a testament to the importance of the clinic to the community, the opening reception of the exhibition was attended by former staff members and families of those who had been served. The opening day ‘s events included weight and blood pressure checks conducted by ACC Nursing students, students from the Certified Nursing Assistant program, and Medical Assisting programs. On display were the Scott medical clinic supplies, accounting books, an original gurney, medical diplomas, and vintage medical paraphernalia. In addition, there were nurses’ uniforms on loan from the Watts School of Nursing. A book of memories was available for guests to record their memories of Dr. Floyd Scott and his sons at their clinic.

Exhibition Dates: September 2007–March 2008

Note:  This picture gallery originally created by Kassie Hudson and transferred to the new website.