Pictured: Hughes Academy schoolhouse, formerly located in Cedar Grove. Now situated in Cameron Park, Hillsborough NC behind the Orange County Board of Education..
In January, 1845, Cedar Grove Academy was established, primarily as a boys’ preparatory school with a few girls from the community attending. The academy charged $25 tuition and $60 board for the ten month school year and had an enrollment of about 100 students. Advertised as a “Classical and Mathematical School”, the curriculum included English, Latin, Greek, and Mathematics. The afternoon sessions of the school were always opened with a Bible lesson. During the Civil War, the school was moved to the yard of Samuel Wellwood Hughes, the academy founder. The name was changed to Hughes Academy and school was conducted at that site until Samuel’s death in 1884.
Education is an important focus of the Scott Family Collection, The Scott Family Collection serves as a repository for manuscript collections, printed materials, photographs, artifacts, and other memorabilia that relate to the history of the Scott Family. The role of educator was
Teachers and school administrators are encouraged to schedule field trips for their classes. Please contact the curator, Peggy Boswell, for details. (336) 506-4203.